The U.K. has many things that it is famous for, especially its rich history that dates back to Medieval times and even further. But one main reason that tourists like to visit this place is for the pubs. Their pubs have a long history that goes way back to times where the monarchy ruled the land in a very different way than today.
If you’re looking for some of the more popular pubs to visit, you may want to read on to see where you can find them. Here are the top five:
- The Mayflower – This is a stop off along the Thames known as the Thames Path. This pub has been alive since the days of the Pilgrims, hence the name. It looks very traditional with exposed wooden beams and paneling. You can sit upstairs in the dining room where there is an impressive view of the Thames.
- Zeitgeist – A German pub, in London, that costumes everything around the rich German history. They have more than 16 beers on tap and 32 bottled, which gives patrons something to select. They even have a kitchen there that serves up delicious Bavarian foods that will leave you full and very happy
- Sir Richard Steele – This pub is named after the man who once lived on site, who is also the co founder. The place is cluttered with odd knock knacks that cover every single area. You may want to come hungry because besides the brew, they serve up Thai food.
- Greenwich Union – This pub is popular among the young ale drinkers who frequent this place. They are stocked with craft beers from the adjacent Meantime Brewery. People visit this pub for the entertaining brew garden that if offers.
- The Earl Ferrers – You won’t find this pub in any guidebook as it is one of those that is off the beaten path. It is known as a ‘locals only’ bar, which doesn’t mean that you can’t get a drink there, but rather you should respect the local patrons when visiting it.
These are the top five places to get a drink in the U.K. Each one is so unique and offers something different. So the next time you are planning a trip overseas, you may want to stop in at any one of these fine pubs and try it out for yourself.
In the United States, microbrews have been popping up everywhere. They can be found on almost every corner and in nearly every restaurant nowadays. Their popularity came about ten years ago when brew consumers searched far and wide for something different from their domestic ales. Microbrews had quickly climbed up the ranks and became major successes.
They have changed how consumers drink. Each one is so different and appealing. That’s what separates them from domestic brands. The other thing that divides them from domestics is the alcohol content. Some of them have a very high alcohol content, while some have little alcohol.
- Content - Some microbrews have an alcohol content as high as 12 percent. That’s very high for a craft beer. Domestic brands generally have contents of around five to six percent. That means in order to feel the effects of the ale, you would have to drink a few of them as opposed to craft ones where one would be the equivalent of two domestics.
- Price - Microbrews tend to be a bit more expensive than domestics. This is because they are independently made. These types of breweries are not large corporations. They are really small mom and pop operations. Sometimes it is even rare for them to make it into the draft system of a bar or restaurant.
- Why more content? You may ask why the high alcohol content. That’s a very valid question as it is because most of these breweries brew less than a ton per month. That’s very low compared to the corporate giants such as Miller and Budweiser who brew tons daily. They are able to control the content as small amounts are brewed and create something different for the public to invest in.
- Craft favorites – There are thousands of craft beers available today. Ever since its popularity began, millions of ale drinkers have made the switch. Favorites such as Magic Hat, Troegs and Shipyard are just a few that have taken over the brew market. There are too many to list as they pop up daily.
Microbrews have a higher alcohol content than traditional brews because they are not as regulated as domestics. They are really unique and have a taste all of their own.
Learn more about American craft beers and breweries in my latest book – The American Book of Craft Breweries.